Harvard FUSION Symposium
The Science and Business of Combating Antibiotic Resistance
The second Harvard FUSION symposium of the Blavatnik Biomedical Accelerator and the HBS Blavatnik Fellowship in Life Science Entrepreneurship
FUSION is the annual Harvard University symposium that integrates perspectives from science and business to expand upon the promise of an emerging field.
Featuring a keynote address by
Anthony S. Fauci, MD,
Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). Dr. Fauci has advised five U.S. presidents and oversees an extensive research portfolio of basic and applied research to prevent, diagnose, and treat established and emerging infectious diseases.
Panel discussion: The science
What must we do to avoid a "post-antibiotic era"? What research strategies are leading in the development of new antimicrobial therapies today?
Moderated by Jennifer Leeds, PhD, Executive Director and Head of Antibacterial Discovery, Infectious Diseases Area, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research.
- Dan Kahne, PhD, Higgins Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University
- Andrew Myers, PhD, Amory Houghton Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University
- Suzanne Walker, PhD, Professor of Microbiology and Immunobiology, Harvard Medical School
- Alex McAdam, MD, PhD, Director of the Infectious Diseases Diagnostic Laboratory, Boston Children’s Hospital; Assistant Professor of Pathology, Harvard Medical School
- Ofer Levy, MD, PhD, Director of the Precision Vaccines Program and Senior Associate Physician in Medicine, Boston Children's Hospital; Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
Panel discussion: The business
How can business models, incentives, or regulatory changes favor the development of new antimicrobial products and services for patients?
Moderated by John H. Rex, MD, FACP, Chief Medical Officer and Director, F2G, Ltd.; Expert-in-Residence, Wellcome Trust; Operating Partner, Advent Life Sciences.
- Guy Macdonald, BSc, CEO of Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Kevin Outterson, JD, LLM, Executive Director of CARB-X; Professor of Law and N. Neal Pike Scholar in Health and Disability Law, Boston University
- David Mantus, PhD, Chief Development Officer of Arsanis, Inc.
- Edward M. Cox, MD, MPH, Director of the U.S. Food & Drug Administration's Office of Antimicrobial Products
- Edmund J. Pezalla, MD, MPH, CEO of Enlightenment Bioconsult, LLC; formerly Vice President for Pharmaceutical Policy and Strategy at Aetna
- Ben Auspitz, Partner, F-Prime Capital